Saturday, June 18, 2011

Rhynchostylis retusa

Status:  Quite common.
Plant habit: Vandaceous epiphyte with striped leaves and thick long roots.
Inflorescence: Drooping raceme with about 100 flowers.
Flower size: About 1.5 cm across.
Altitude: A little inland at sea level to 800 meters asl.
Flowering time: June and July.
Fragrance: Citrus fragrance.
Heat tolerance: Blooms at sea level.
Endemism: India, Sri Lanka and South-East Asia.
Hortus malabaricus name: Ansjeli maravara and Biti maram maravara.




  

6 comments:

  1. Is Alba form found in Kerala?? I've seen the pictures of alba form in pictures only!!

    Nice post!!Keep it up!!

    Jose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am yet to come across an alba form from Kerala. I've heard there are alba forms in the North East though Thailand seems to be the only available source as of now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    Great pictures!

    I ones had the alba form of this one. I bought the plant with buds but after the flowering the plant died from rot in the steam. :-(

    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3038/3080139123_508e976593_b.jpg

    I believe that my plant came from Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tommy. Pity you lost the plant. The alba form when fully grown is spectacular. I must get myself one from Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you see my Vanda blog. I started to write in English now. http://tommyljunggren.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. PreSam,
    Its nice to see orchid information from India.
    Alba is found in North East, its common. I have seen a grower selling the huge Fern log with 5 to 10 albas on it. No blooms at that moment.

    ReplyDelete