Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Luisia abrahamii

Inflorescence: Short raceme with 2 to 3 flowers.
Flower size: About 3/4 of an inch across and about an inch in length.
Plant habit:  Terete-leaved epiphyte with a drooping habit and roots that have a granular surface texture.
Altitude: A little inland at sea level to 400 metres asl.
Flowering time: Late September, October and early November.
Fragrance: None.
Distribution: Local endemic found only in Kerala.
Heat tolerance: Blooms well in the plains.








3 comments:

  1. Nice clear pictures, Prejith...I learned the fundamentals of orchids of Kerala from Dr. Abraham's book way back in 1983..Pleased to know that this orchid is named after him..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jose. That book is supposed to be very informative though I've never seen it. I've ordered one for myself from TBGRI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures of L.abrahamii. I have never come across this orchid in any of my field trips to Anamalais, Nilgiris or high ranges. Priced catch.

    P.S.Sivaprasad
    Coimbatore
    9043432398

    ReplyDelete